ABOUT THIS CAR
Rally Preparation Services is pleased to offer this Sunbeam Alpine Classic rally car. A delightful alternative to the more ubiquitous MGB, the Alpine has always been a stalwart of the UK and European Classic rally world.
The Sunbeam name can be traced back to the dawn of the motor car and even slightly before. Bicycles, aero engines, land-speed records and racing all feature in the heritage of Sunbeam and as with so many automotive pioneers so does the grim juggulation of insolvency. Scooped up by the Rootes Group in 1934, the Sunbeam brand was initially linked with Talbot before broadly becoming the sporting brand of the Rootes Group. Success in rallies followed with an outright win for a Sunbeam on the 1955 Monte Carlo and after 3 consecutive penalty free runs for Stirling Moss on the Alpine rally a “Coupe d’Or”. No surprise the new car was called the Alpine. Often overshadowed by it’s big brother, the Tiger, the Alpine is 100kg lighter and very much at home on twisty roads.
This Alpine has competed on various events over the last 20 years including the 2014 Winter Trial to Monte Carlo and notably achieving success in the 2000 Le Jog in the hands of Robin Eyre Maunsell with the Telegraph reporting “set fastest time of all on several tests, despite opposition ranging from incredibly nippy MG Midgets and Mini Coopers to astonishingly fast Porsche 911s. His Alpine, a model often slated as unsporting, comprehensively defeated all the rally-prepared MGBs in its class”. Purchased by the current owner with a view to go Classic rallying a bad back has curtailed plans so this old war-horse has been dry stored for the last 4 years. Built to a high spec but ideally benefitting from a little tlc this charming Alpine is itching to go rallying again and offers an ideal entry to the sport without too great a commitment.
The car is currently residing at RPS’ sister company – the SASCo storage facility and available for inspection.
All viewings and test drives welcomed by appointment at Rally Preparation Services.
All enquiries to Martin on email@example.com or telephone +44 (0)1993 358009.
- Body shell: Seam welded and reinforced. Welded in jacking points. Alloy sump guard. Fibre glass hardtop with Perspex windows.
- Engine: 1725 cc Holbay cylinder head with twin Weber DCOEs. Twin ignition coils, electronic ignition. Electric cooling fan
- Gearbox; Original 4 speed type
- Brakes: Front discs and rear drums. Fly off centre mounted handbrake. .
- Suspension: Front: coil spring independent double wishbones.
- Rear: Live axle with semi elliptical leaf springs..
- Fuel system: Original twin tanks with twin Facet electronic fuel pumps, filter king, aeroquip fuel lines through car.
- Safety:Full roll cage with X brace and door bars. Cobra competition seats, OMP harnesses, battery cut-off switch hand-held AFF fire extinguishers.
- Equipment. Additional driving lamp brackets. Mountney steering wheel. Brantz 2 rally tripmeter, co-drivers alloy footrest, Avanti map light, reversing lamp, spare wheel post, boot mounted spares rack. Minilite style alloy wheel