ABOUT THIS CAR
Rally Preparation Services are happy to offer this trusty Saab 96 classic rally car.
The Saab 96 is one of those motoring icons with a long production history, in this case spanning 20 years. Curiously Saab introduced the 96 with a 3 cylinder 2-stroke engine along with a freewheel transmission which only gave way to a more conventional Ford sourced V4 engine in 1967. Swedish manufacturer Saab started life making military aeroplanes and arguably brought this expertise to motor car manufacture which they started in 1949. As well as superb build quality the 96 is reported to have had somewhat better aerodynamics than an E-type Jaguar! No doubt these attributes helped Swedish born Erik Carlsson with his trio of famous RAC rally victories across 1960, 1961 and 1962. Fellow Swedish rally stars Stig Blomqvist and Per Eklund also had rally wins at World rally Championship level in a Saab 96 across the 1970’s.
This Saab started it’s rallying career in 2011 as a stage rally car before changing to Classic road rallies. The shell is robust and rust free with new doors fitted and unusually RHD. Preparation for rallying has followed the conventional best practice route prioritising reliability and safety. A full roll cage is fitted along with Willans 5-point harnesses and Corbeau seats. Lots of documented history and recent bills and even the original 1967 vehicle registration book. Complete with some spares and extra wheels and tyres this dependable and robust Saab is an ideal opportunity for a low-cost entry into the world of classic rallying.
The car is currently residing at RPS’ sister company – the SASCo storage facility and available for inspection.
All viewings and test drives welcomed by appointment at Rally Preparation Services.
All enquiries to Martin on email@example.com or telephone +44 (0)1993 358009
- Body shell: Solid body shell with re-inforced jacking points and Bilstein quick lift jack.
- Engine: Tuned 1498cc V4, Weber carburettor, oil cooler, high pressure fuel pump , twin coils, etc. Oil catch tank.
- Gearbox; Original 4 speed type with freewheel disabled.
- Brakes: Front discs and rear drums. .
- Suspension: Front: uprated coil spring independent double wishbones. Telescopic dampers
Rear: Trailing U beam axle with coil springs and telescopic dampers.
- Safety: Full roll cage. Corbeau competition seats, Willans 5 point harnesses, battery cut-off switch, hand-held AFF fire extinguishers.
Equipment. Cibie Oscar driving lamps, Competition steering wheel. Brantz 2 rally tripmeter, co-drivers alloy footrest, map light, reversing lamp, World Cup wheels. Sump guard.